With a wave of legalization sweeping the nation, the 2016 election noticed the passing of a poll initiative that made leisure hashish authorized in Massachusetts. As of July 2018, you’ll be able to legally purchase, possess, and luxuriate in marijuana – with restrictions:
- You might possess as much as one ounce at a time.
- No smoking is allowed whereas driving, and any weed in the car have to be locked up and never seen.
- Adults might develop as much as six crops per family (or twelve crops for households with multiple grownup), however the crops can’t be seen from the road.
- Each family can retailer as much as ten ounces of pot that’s bought, or extra if the harvest is from a house crop.
- You can smoke on personal property… however solely on property the place it’s allowed (some landlords, for instance, prohibit it).
- You can’t smoke marijuana anyplace in public, together with parks and sidewalks.
- Unlicensed gross sales, together with barter, are unlawful for the vendor, however not for the customer. Under state regulation, it’s unlawful to promote marijuana and not using a license.
- Gifting marijuana is allowed.
- Consumers should buy seeds and clones at dispensaries.
Weed could be bought for leisure use at dispensaries with a leisure license (presently there are just a few). The low variety of leisure dispensaries is because of a number of elements:
- Several medical dispensaries have made guarantees to their communities to stay medical-only. Some are discovering it troublesome to make the change into providing each medical and leisure pot.
- Many communities inside Massachusetts have put moratoriums in place on leisure dispensaries.
- A marijuana plant takes as much as 6 months to mature, and operators can’t plant their clones or seeds till they’re licensed, which signifies that many are anticipated to open for enterprise towards the top of 2018.
For these in communities with out leisure dispensaries, a medical card is an choice, albeit a sluggish and costly one which requires a suggestion from a doctor, paperwork, and as much as $250 in doctor consultations and state charges.
The worth of marijuana in Massachusetts depends upon provide and demand. Currently, ⅛ ounce retails for round $50. In states that legalized marijuana and the place there’s competitors, the costs have dropped, as they’re anticipated to in Massachusetts as nicely.
Taxes will stay excessive, at 17%, and municipalities might impose a further three% native tax. No taxes apply to medical marijuana bought to registered sufferers.
The state’s Cannabis Control Commission has for now postponed the licensure of “social consumption” companies that might permit patrons to smoke marijuana on website – however that is simply circumvented by having fun with edibles.
When it involves Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard, it’s extra difficult. The Massachusetts medical marijuana regulation states that a dispensary have to be out there in each county. Each island is its personal county. However, because the islands are separated from the mainland by federal waters, delivery mainland-grown product to Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard is troublesome; and since all retail marijuana requires testing in state labs… that are on the mainland… it’s a authorized quagmire that have to be sufficient to make anybody need to smoke a joint!